Friday, July 17, 2015

Mo' thoughts...breaking all of Belinda's blog rules!

My visions of daily tutoring sessions with each of the kiddos must have flown out the window somewhere in Kansas.  Tom and I each brought quite a few books as well that mostly remained packed away.  What are we doing all day?  I am trying to figure that one out.  

We are driving/navigating, cooking, packing or unpacking the bus, eating, shopping, throwing and subsequently chasing a baseball with Quinn, hiking, doing Madlibs with potty words, telling stories...relaxing has been a rare moment.  This is theoretically a vacation, but not a relaxing one...an adventure would be a better word.  I had forgotten what traveling and making plans as we go and then changing them on the fly is like ...at times exhilarating and occasionally exhausting.  

There is this pressure that we have an ending date that casts a sense of urgency to the trip.  I don't know what it would be like to just go indefinitely.  I have read a few blogs that this is the case and a little envy creeps in...to totally let go of time.  I have certainly lost track of the days of the week and if I didn't check Facebook, I would not know anyone's birthday.  We often don't have Internet or phone access, but those that know us will realize this isn't unusual.  I have spent more time on a cell phone this trip than in the last decade.  

Anyway, it seems so crazy to pick and choose between such amazing natural wonders due to time and/or timing.  Today we sat for an hour and a half due to an accident.  I felt how lucky we are to have been safe so far and to have this experience.  Anyway, the Oregon Caves were stricken from the itinerary with a direct route to Crater Lake.  We will hopefully find a campsite before it is too late so we can have time to play catch and for Maggie to play by herself...she calls it "playing in her head" and this is a much needed regrouping activity for her.  The workbooks will probably still stay in storage and we will stay busy adventuring.

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine all these things you are experiencing on this trip ! Keep trekking ! Love

    ReplyDelete