Saturday, June 27, 2015

Almost out of Colorado

We left Maine just a little over a week ago and that is unbelievable as we have seen so much.  Garden of the Gods was just beautiful and the kids loved climbing on large red rocks.  It was very crowded especially compared to Roxborough State Park in Littleton, Co which had a similar landscape.  I am learning that I have a touch of PTSD when it comes to hearing thunder. I think it goes to my AT days, but I kind of freak out and both days I rushed us through lovely hikes only to have storms blow by.  Tom is trying to be patient and I am trying not to let my anxiety show.  

We made it to Great Sand Dunes National Park in time to go play on the dunes with our rented sled.  Quinn took a big tumble doing a really steep dune and I did only a mild slant...not that fun.  We camped overlooking the park...spectacular.

We spent the following morning hiking 699 feet to the top of the highest Dune.  At the apex Maggie said with incredulity, "We had to hike all the way up here just to look around???"  Yes we did, because those dunes were way to steep and long to sled.  We ran down the dunes.  mags and Quinn did have a spectacular wreck and Tom and I are still thankful that no head injuries or broken bones occurred.  Super proud that they continued to sled.  They also got to play in the wide stream which was quite comfortable at that point compared to the early morning crossing that was so painful that Quinn tried to quit half way.  A great time was had which one could tell by the amount of sand that fell out of bathing suits.

The bus is going to get checked out in Moab on Monday.  Going up and over Wolf Creek Pass at over 130000 feet was hard for Bam Bam.  We might have been able to be out biked.  Bam Bam will no longer go to the lower gears past drive.  I found a mechanic that knows buses and who also rents cars if needed.

We stopped and had a snack in Durango.  This was a town that we frequented regularly when I lived on the Navajo Rez and Durango has really gone upscale in the last twenty years...it felt like a smaller version of Aspen.  Found a free camping spot right across from Mesa Verde.  Love free camping, but this does mean that we are just dirty.

This morning we hiked into a self guided and tour guided cliff houses in Mesa Verde.  The kids loved climbing 32 foot ladders and crawling through a tunnel.  Very cool.  When I went there when I was twenty-two, the heat was so bad Erin and I just drove around and ran to overlooks.  I am glad to have been able to have a more informational and adventurous visit this time.  

On to Moab...peace and love to all.

1 comment: