Monday, June 22, 2015

Ready to Roll by Tom

Starting this journey reminds me a little of the start of ancient Antarctic explorations. Ships would be loaded up in England to travel to Argentina for more supplies before finally leaving for Antarctica. For us, Maine would be England, and Indiana Argentina. It has been a lovely time here in the heartland but I am greatly looking forward to the real journey itself.

 I turned 45 while I was here and got to celebrate Father's Day as well. I was treated very well by my all my in-laws. I am very fortunate to be a part of their family. Here is some life advice for any of you young single readers; make sure you marry into a good family! As good as your own maybe, and mine is wonderful, I can assure you lots of happiness if your in-laws are good people.

I did have time for a couple of runs while out here. Nothing epic, but I did get to check out a new spot that I have always been eager to explore. Eagle Creek Park on the West side of Indy,it has lots of trails of which all are really runnable. It would be fun to race out there and crank out some good times as the terrain was a lot more forgiving than what I am used to back at home. Glad I got to go, but it was about a half hour drive for me, even on a Sunday, so I will probably not be going back unless there happens to be a race when I am in Indy again.

We are still gathering info on our trip and still have no set itinerary. All that we know is that we will spend the night somewhere in Kansas before getting to the Denver area on Wednesday. Denver is our Ross Ice Shelf. That's when the journey should get exciting. Hopefully that's when the kids will stop saying they would rather do something else. We will see. Even if they complain the whole trip and would rather be doing anything else, I hope years from now they will look back at this trip as one of many great adventures in their lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment